Google turns 25 today- company highlights the journey of turning a small company in a garage to a Global giant now
Whether it’s searching for a normal song or food recipe or finding work-related answers, the one platform that we have always looked up to for our problems- is Google. Google has become a very important part of our lives these days as no day passes by without searching for something on the platform. People across the globe now rely on Google to search, connect, work, play, and for many more things. 25 years ago, Larry Page and Sergey Brin launched Google search from a small garage in a California suburb. As the years passed Google has seen an immersive growth as it has now offices and data centers on 6 continents and in almost 200 cities.
Today on the occasion of Google’s 25th birthday, the company takes users on a tour of it’s offices and data centers across the globe and some interesting facts about them.
25 years ago, Google Search launched from a garage in a California suburb. Today, we have offices and data centers on six continents, in over 200 cities. In honor of our 25th birthday tomorrow, take a world tour with us #Google25 ↓ https://t.co/lRCaDCJvg0
— Google (@Google) September 26, 2023
Interesting facts about Google offices and data centers around the world
- Howzit Art, Johannesburg, South Africa- The office is famous for an art installation made by local craftswomen from nearby communities. The women used 46km of beads to build the piece which reads “Howzit”.
- The HivePlex, Mountain View, US- In 2010, the company set up bee hives around Googleplex with an aim at supporting the area’s bee population as well as giving the Google kitchens access to fresh local honey.
- Teaching old buildings new tricks, Various locations, US, Ireland & Finland- In pursuit of the company’s goal to hit net-zero emissions across it’s operations and value chain by 2030, it has invested in “adaptive reuse projects” where they renovate existing buildings rather than rely on solely new construction.
- Park ‘n charge- Google continues to invest in it’s corporate EV charging infrastructure for employee vehicle charging in the US.
- Going Global, Tokyo, Japan and Hamburg, Germany- The company has opened offices and data centres on 6 continents and in over 200 cities globally.
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil- This Google office features native vegetation from the Cerrado biome.
- Seoul, South Korea- The company has recently designed a new flooring in this office. In order to create a more accessible space the company is planning to include Braille signage, wider spaces for wheelchair mobility, automatic sliding doors and much more
- Dubai, UAE- Google’s this office is located in dessert and the office’s design represent it’s surroundings.
- AI Research center in Africa, in Accra, Ghana- Includes research labs that explore how AI helps solving problems affecting millions of people.
- Mountain View, US Google office consists of Dragonscale solar canopy that provides electricity.
- Motreal, Canada- This Google office pays homage to the vibrant city and it’s historic neighborhoods.
- Atlanta, US- The office pays homage to the city’s cultural, artistic and musical history including artwork from more than 20 local artists, a rainbow LGBTQ+ themed staircase and boombox sculptures
- London England- Includes a sticky note art gallery by 200 talented Googlers
- Ghislain, Belgium- First data center in world to run entirely without refrigeration, instead uses an advanced evaporative cooling system
- Tokyo, Japan- This office’s ramen bar is inspired by off-street ramen shops around Shibuya
- New York, US- This office of Google started running on clean energy from upgraded hydropower installations.
- Mexico city, Mexico- This office is inspired by “papel picado” a decorative Mexican folk art made of paper cut into elaborate designs
- Paris, France- Earlier this space was owned by a railway company therefore Google has kept the original details of the space
- Belo Horizonte, Brazil- This office creates a literal farm-to-table experience for employees
- Tennesse, US- famous for Restored prairie land
- Singapore- Place where local developers and startups come to learn, connect, engage and be inspired. It also hosts a lot of events
- Mountain view, US- Famous for having GBikes abound
- Detroit, US- Google’s office is in the Little Caesars Arena complex
- New Taipei, Taiwan- Home to Google’s largest hardware engineering hub outside US.
- Mountain View, US- famous for having a giant bronze Tyrannosaurus rex skeleton that sits at the heart of the office
- Ongoing project- Google Copernicus Hosting Environment and Experiment in Search Enginnering (G.C.H.E.E.S.E), first office Google plans to make on THE MOON